Governor Tim Walz today authorized state assistance for Hennepin County to help rebuild public infrastructure damaged in late May.
“Minnesotans work together to get through hard times,” said Governor Walz. “After that devastating week at the end of May, Minnesotans from across the state generously contributed and worked together with the people of Minneapolis to rebuild their city. This funding from the State joins that effort to rebuild and will help provide critical resources to the community.”
“In the face of adversity, neighbors across Minneapolis came together with businesses, non-profits, and local government leaders to help their community recover,” said Lieutenant Governor Peggy Flanagan. “We’re committed to helping them. This disaster assistance will help their effort to make the community whole again.”
The Minnesota Department of Public Safety conducted a damage assessment that verified over $15 million in eligible fire-related damages.
On July 2, the Governor formally requested a federal major disaster declaration for the incident. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) denied Minnesota’s original request. The Governor appealed that decision, which FEMA again denied on August 18.
Under Minnesota law, “disaster” means any catastrophe, including but not limited to a tornado, storm, high water, wind-driven water, tidal wave, earthquake, volcanic eruption, landslide, mudslide, snowstorm, or drought or, regardless of cause, any fire, flood, or explosion.
The State Disaster Assistance Contingency Account will cover 75 percent of eligible costs, or $11,744,149. Local governments are responsible for the remaining 25 percent. The Department of Public Safety division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management will work with Hennepin County officials to provide assistance as directed by the Governor.