The Minnesota Department of Health is reporting 1,178 new cases of COVID-19, including five new cases in Polk County, and three deaths. The positive cases were found in 17,938 completed tests for a positive rate of 6.6 percent.
Updated October 12, 2020
Updated daily at 11 a.m., with data current as of 4 p.m. the previous day.
Data is for cases that were tested and returned positive. All data is preliminary and may change as cases are investigated. Many data points are collected during case interviews. Data presented below is for all cases, regardless of interview status. Data for cases pending interview may be listed as “unknown/missing.”
Not all suspected cases of COVID-19 are tested, so this data is not representative of the total number of people in Minnesota who have or had COVID-19. Cumulative numbers are since Jan. 20, 2020.
Because all data is preliminary, the change in number of cumulative positive cases and deaths from one day to the next may not equal the newly reported cases or deaths.
Total positive cases (cumulative)
Newly reported cases
Newly reported deaths
Total approximate number of completed tests: 2,337,122
- Total approximate number of people tested: 1,589,752
Testing data table
More about testing data
Minnesota Case Overview
- Total positive cases: 113,439
- Number of health care workers: 11,654
Positive cases by date specimen collected data table
More about positive cases
Patients no longer needing isolation
- Patients no longer needing isolation: 101,376
- Total deaths: 2,144
- Deaths among cases that resided in long-term care or assisted living facilities: 1,522
- Total probable COVID-19 Deaths*: 53
* COVID-19 listed on death certificate but a positive test not documented for the person.
Deaths data table
- Total cases hospitalized: 8,421
- Total cases hospitalized in ICU: 2,311
Hospitalization data table
Age group data table:
Including age group of deaths
Gender data table
Race & Ethnicity
Race and ethnicity data table:
Including race and ethnicity of deaths
Likely exposure data table
Not all cases among health care workers have a likely exposure as health care staff.
Cases by County of Residence
County of residence is confirmed during the case interview. At the time of this posting not all interviews have been completed.
County of residence data table:
Including county of residence of deaths
Residence type data table
This report includes more detailed information on testing, demographics, syndromic surveillance, and more. Updated every Thursday.
Facilities with Cases & Exposures
Cases in Pre-K through Grade 12 School Buildings, by County
Congregate Care Facilities with Exposures, by County
- Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome In Children (MIS-C) Statistics
- Minnesota COVID-19 Public Dashboard
- Minnesota’s COVID-19 Response and Preparation Capacity
- Dial Back Dashboard
- CDC: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Cases in the U.S.
- Minnesota COVID-19 Modeling
Data in the data tables is correct as of 11 a.m. daily. Dynamic images and maps will update shortly after 11 a.m. daily and will not work if your browser is in compatibility mode.